Trilye, situated 12 km west of Mudanya (a district of Bursa Province) is a coastal town, which has carried its historical fabric to these days. The area, which was inhabited since 5th Century BC, was known by the names such as 'trigleia', 'bryllion' and 'trilya' in the history. When demand for the products of Southern Marmara from the antic world increased, ports have been constructed in Kios (Gemlik), Kur�unlu, Apemeia (Mudanya), Sigi (Kumyaka), and Trilye (Zeytinbagi) and the region boomed. Today this lovely town is called Zeytinba�� (olive grove) referring to high quality olives produced in the region. The exact reason for the name of Trilye is not known however there are various assumptions. One of these assumptions suggests that the name of Trilye comes from 'triglia', which means red mullet in ancient Greek. According to this, there were abundant red mullet at the streammouth, where the river was flowing through the town and met the sea, so the town was called 'trigleia', which means 'the place with red mullet fish'. As the time went by, the name of 'trigleia' turned into 'trilya'.
Another view suggests that three priests found Trilye. According to this view the priests Aya Yorgi, Aya Sorti and Aya Yanni were excommunicated for differences in their interpretations during the Council of Nicaea (�znik Consul) in 376 BC and as a result these priests settled here. The region was called Trilye, which means 'three priests' for commemoration of the priests. Trilye has been an important religious center for Greek - Orthodox Christians for long years.
Trilye is a first level protected area since 1980 because of the Byzantine and Ottoman architectural monuments and is considered as an open-air museum thanks to the historical buildings and houses. Osman Gazi's Turkmens in Bursa and surroundings have started settling in this location from the beginning of the year 1303. Kaymak Oba, Mirza Oba and �epni villages located at the back of Trilye are considered to be establishing during this era. After Mudanya was conquered in 1321 Trilye�s ports and other ports in the region started being used. The land at the western parts of Bursa namely the area between current Minor Industry Area (K���k Sanayi B�lgesi) and Uluabat Lake were very fertile. Grapes, cocoons and cereal crops were grown in this region. In addition the Tahtal�, Demirci and Do�anc� regions had high quality wood used in the production of ships. There are signs proving a Genoese cargo boat has visited Trilye port in 1330s. During the era in which the Byzantine Emperor tried to increase his power using the Fener Patriarchate churches and monasteries were constructed in Trilye and it�s surroundings and Orthodox churches were strengthened. One of these churches was Aya Todori, which was turned into a mosque and given the name Fatih Mosque after Trilye was conquered. When Greeks invaded Bursa and its surroundings between the years of 1920-1922, Greek gangs incited anarchy in the region and King Konstantin visited Trilye at this time. The Turkish Army liberated Trilye on 13 September 1922. After the independence war Ottoman Greeks have left the town together with Greek soldiers and as a result of the population exchange agreement signed in Lausanne, Muslim - Turkish migrants from Thessaloniki and Crete have settled in Trilye. In addition migrants from Usturumca, Dedea�a�, Serez, Tikve� and Karacaova have also settled in the town. The main economic activities are wine production, fishery, olive production and tourism.
Aya Todori, which is a Byzantine Church, constructed between 720-730 AD, is also known as the Church of Christ and Hagios Stephanos, which is its original name. The church is the oldest Byzantine building in Bursa, which has been protected. After Turks have conquered Tirilye it was named Fatih Mosque and was used as a mosque. It has Byzantine column headings at the entrance and the dome is 19 meters high. The mosque is entered thorough a portico covered with a wooden roof which is standing on four columns that have ornamented metal headings. The building, which was originally constructed as a church, has a mihrab that is covered with a half dome. The mosque was retransferred into a church during the Greek occupation in 1918 and was turned into a mosque again in 1922 after being liberated.
Stone School (Ta� Mektep)
Stone School, which is known as the school where the archbishop Makarious, the former president of Cyprus, has attended has been designed with a neo classical style reflecting western architecture. The construction of the magnificent building started in 1904 and was completed in three years. It is situated on an area of 965 square meters, is four-storey high and is located on the hill at the west of �skele Street. In 1924 after the establishment of the republic it is opened as a school called Dar-�l Eytam for orphans, who were the children of soldiers that died in the war. The building served as a boarding school, a primary school and a secondary school later on. The historical building that was evacuated in 1989 was transferred to Uluda� University first and then was transferred to Zeytinba�� Municipality for restorations.
Panagia Pontobasilissa or Arched Church as it is called in the region is known to be the first church where the walls were painted with pictures. It is indicated in some handwritten scripts that the church was dedicated to Panagia Pantobasillissa (Mother Mary). The church is based on a Greek cross plan to in the east and west directions. Although the building is not used currently it has still survived. According to the construction style of its walls, it is believed that the building was constructed at the end of the 13th century. The church has pictures on its walls at different layers and is considered to be very important for Christians. The first layer of frescos were made at the start of the 14th Century, the second layer of frescos were made in 18th Century (1723). It is believed that the columns were brought from Alexandria. There are support pillars at the fa�ades and the public calls the building as the Arched Church. The walls and the dome of the church are in good condition.
The Hagios Ioannes Greek Church (Yuannes Church), which is known as the D�ndar House in the region, has been transferred to private property after Greeks abandoned the region. Three-floored western part of the church, which was constructed in 19th Century, is currently being used as a residence. The main entrance is through a stone door. There are Byzantine decorations and stone ornaments on its walls.
There were seven churches, three monasteries and three holy springs in Zeytinba�� however only three of the churches have survived to these days. Only Aya Yani Monastery has partially survived among the three monasteries. One of the collapsed churches has been restored and is currently being used as the Zeytinba�� Town Hall. The ruins of the three monasteries, which were built during the Byzantine era, are out of Trilye. One of these is the Hagios Sergios Monastery located on the road to E�kel Village. The monastery was built during the 8th Century and used as a farm. Today only magnificent entrance doors, which are 200 kilograms each, and the walls of the monastery are remaining. The ruin of the second monastery is 5 km far from the town and is called Hagios Ioannes Theologos (Pelekete) Aya Yani Monastery, which is known as the Ayani Ranch by the public. The monastery was built in 709 and used until 1922; only the ruins of the church and walls are remaining today. The third ruins of the monastery belong to Batheos Rhyakos Soteros Monastery known as the Aya Sotiri by the public. Most of the buildings of the monastery are ruined however their owners use some buildings as shelters. Turks, who settled in the area during Yavuz Sultan Selim Time, built a Turkish bath and a School in 1907 and those structures are regarded as important historical locations, which have survived by these days.
The antic port, which is in Kapanca Districts of Trilye, dates back to the Roman era; it was the most important port for transportation during its time. It has been understood that the Genoese have used Trilye and Apemeia (Mudanya) ports for transporting the salt extracted from the northern part of the Appolonia Lake. Trilye was an important port for exporting the goods produced in the fertile lands to the center of the Byzantine Empire.
Historical Pine Teahouse (Tarihi �amli Kahve)
The Historical Pine Coffee lies on a high hill past the Stone School and is referred as the balcony of Trilye. This area is currently used as a teahouse and overlooks the sea, olive orchards and the beautiful scenery from the top under pine and plane trees.
When you came to Trilye, you should eat fish in Trilye Fish Restourant and you should drink Trilye Wines. Fish Restourant is in the Trilye Port.
Trilye's Olive , olive oil and olive products are very famous. The Trilye olive and olive oil are very delicious. When you came to Trilye you should buy this products.