Misi is a settlement surrounded by four hills covered by forests, and established on a prone area. The area where the Gumustepe Quarter of Nilufer located , is one of the oldest settlements of Bursa. As well, it is predicted that there was a settlement in the area before the establishment of Bursa. According to Herodotus, 'the father of history, Myses' which was one of the six tribes passing through Anatolia from Thrace in 1816 BC, have established a union known as Mysians. Being the first known tribes passing through the east from the west in the world history, Mysians. Being the first known tribe passing through the east from the west in the world history, Mysians have established three settlements named 'Misipolis' ( Misi - currently Gumustepe Quarter ), 'Misapoli' and 'Eskel'. The name Misi, derives from 'Myses' who are known as the oldest sedentaries of the vicinity.
The name was changed as 'Gumustepe' in 1961. Established on the hills of holly mountain 'Olympos', Misi has been a center of beliefs before and after the Christianity. In 183 AD, a monk named Alex who first arrived in Istanbul and then in Bursa from West Rome because of the influence of Western Romans, has dwelled in Misi and Inkaya village together with 85 followers as the initiators of the Christianity. The monks bifurcated and spreaded through the hills of Olympos namely Kesis Mountain. As the vicinity is a channel that is convenient for disguising, caused the monks to establish a powerful missionary organization for ages. In this period, a consul in Misi has assembled and researched the spirit of the Bible which has been rewritten three times and discussed about Bible is buried. The monastery in which ezcavations made in 1953, has been depredated by treasure hunters and by historical artifacts depredators. Today, unfortunately nothing left behind from this monastery. According to the historical soruces, former Misi citizens were engaged in grape and wine products and silkworm rearing. As the silk is a significant ecenomic input for Bursa, also the surrounding settlements have been notably impacted by this ecenomic activity. Also with their wide proches, the Misi houses were built in accordance with silkworm rearing. Today Misi is popular with the old houses remained stable with their authentic architecture. Therefore , most of the buildings in the area which has been proclaimed as Urban SIT area in 1989, have been constructed in the mid 18th centruy and also it is presumed that there ara some buildings dating from the 17th century.
The municipality of Nilufer, is working for protecting these buildins and making some of them functional by renovating, in the area where there are 27 registered buildings. The municipality of Nilufer has primariliy renoveted the historical fountain and make it avaliable, then renovated 3 buildings and brought in new functions as Misi Community Center, Misi Protection and Maintanance Project Office, cafe, science center and nursery. Within the efforts of maintaining the historical heritage that is also supported by the encouragement award of the Union of Historical Towns, face decontamination works in the streets of old buildings are still continuing.